Saturday, April 11, 2009

What I Wore Today

"'Which of these things is the most stylish thing to wear?'
And the correct answer is: 'Hey, whatever I select.'"
- Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

Well, I know that the "What I Wore Today" blog format has been well used, but I work for an amazing company called ModCloth.com, and I'm so excited about some of the things I've purchased from us that I would like to talk about it!

First, ModCloth is a Pittsburgh-based company that used to operate out of owner and founder Susan Kroger's basement, three blocks from my own apartment in the neighborhood of Friendship. Since their inception, they have upsized, and are now located fifteen minutes away in Pittsburgh's Strip District (so-called because it is a long and thin row of businesses tucked between a mountain and a river).

I've been a customer of ModCloth for several years, and it has long been my dream to work for them. Recently, I succeeded at securing a position in the Intake department, and it is truly the best job I have ever held. Not only are we absurdly indie and stylish, and patronize small designers, we are also a very positive and fun workplace. Several Swedes I met recently described it as "incredibly Danish", as Denmark is apparently renowned for its laid-back, healthy, yet productive work environments.

I've been a thrift-store girl for most of my life, and am very good at stretching a dollar as well. ModCloth items fit my very picky bill, as they are all of high quality, superior fit, and superb texture (there is nothing I like better than a nice lush fabric!) for a very reasonable price. Hence, I'm expanding my wardrobe a lot now that I work there, and wish to share some of my favorite pieces with you.

This is what I wore today:

- The Renegade Bomber, from ModCloth.com
I restocked this jacket a few weeks ago, and really liked it. Then Casey, one of my coworkers, bought one, and it looked so fabulous on her that I jumped on the bandwagon as well.
This is a lovely, versatile, practical piece. It features zipped pockets (good if you tend, like I do, to lose things of value ... like cell phones ...), a high neck (just like a built-in scarf!), and soft, flexible vegan faux-leather. The lining is pretty sweet, too!
It is warm enough for Pittsburgh spring, and suited me quite well in Brooklyn this past weekend as well.
Apparently, everyone in New York is wearing something like this ... but not everyone's is this cool!
(A DJ told me I looked like Billy Joel in this, and when I replied that I was going more for James Dean, he outright bought me a drink.)

- The All American Jumper, from ModCloth.com
This is one of those unexpectedly amazing garments that I really didn't look twice at until I saw it in person, and now I cannot get enough of it.
The fabric is SO. SOFT. It looks like regular denim, but is lush and thick like a sweater. I couldn't stop petting it in the warehouse, and had to restrain from doing the same when it was actually on my person ...
The cut is quite cute and flattering as well. It doesn't bunch or ride up, like some jumpers do, and it has just enough stretch to hug but not cling (which is important for someone like me, who is small and slender but curvy). Also, the pockets are at just the right height and are just the right depth to tuck my hands into on chilly nights (like last night).
Alas, while a bit tipsy, I accidentally spilt a bit of hot wax on myself ... that is to say, a whole lot of hot wax. I despaired of ever getting it out, but a touch of hot iron followed by a wash cycle brought it right up! The color didn't fade, the fabric didn't pill, and only a little tiny bit of slightly-fuzzier fabric remains to tell the tale of my wax-capade. I am going to buy another of these jumpers so that I can wear one to work and one for nights out.


- Comfy Sweater Knit Tights in Purple, from ModCloth.com
I bought these tights before I even worked for ModCloth, and now I have two pairs. They are thick, warm, cozy, and (as the name suggests) comfy! Even while trekking about a chilly Pittsburgh at late-o'clock at night, my legs stayed nice and toasty -- about the only part of me that did!
Not to mention the rich, lush color, which gets lots of compliments on the streets.

- The Aster Beret in Purple, from ModCloth.com
Dainty berets are amazing these days, and this beret is among the daintiest. It makes me look very bohemian-chic and like I belong in Manhattan. The fabric is soft, comfortable, and flexible, and the color is standout. I throw it on almost every day!

- Girl on the Go Scarf in Blue, from ModCloth.com
Is it an Isadora Duncan-style scarf? Is it a cravat? Is it a keffiyeh? It can be any of these things, depending on how I tie it. But at all times, it is bold, vibrant, and deliciously soft, yet warm. I have it in both colors.

- Thrifted turtleneck short-sleeved sweater in golden yellow, by Divided from H&M
This beauty is in one of my favorite shades, and features slightly puffy Victorian-style short sleeves. I found it at a thrift store and it is proving to be a great piece for both winter and spring. The turtleneck can be rolled down to show off a necklace and a bit of collarbone, or rolled up to keep out the chill. I feel that Emily Dickinson would have rocked this shirt, if she could have -- and if she had ever worn anything other than white.

- Spectator-style flats in black and white, from Urban Outfitters
Honestly, I don't really like UO, because I feel they are overpriced for the quality. However, I do like to go there once a season for the sale, which is where I bought these shoes.
Even half-priced (twenty dollars), they were still a bit too much for the quality, but they are comfortable and look amazing with everything I own. They look like something Zelda Fitzgerald would have worn, and I can even wear them as slippers.

- Vintage cream, beige, and coffee pearls, from etsy.com
This three-stranded short necklace just arrived in the mail yesterday and I've hardly taken it off since. It is simple and says "effortless class", which are two things I deeply appreciate in jewelry. I will be sporting these to everywhere from brillobox to Brooklyn to the warehouse and Art All Night!

- Purple and golden yellow dangly earrings, from Whiteapple on etsy.com
Whiteapple is one of my favorite Etsy sellers, and she created these earrings for me on custom commission. They are sweet and simple, but also bold and bright, and I wear them with almost everything.
Whiteapple also loves ModCloth, and has a style blog as well. Check out her Etsy shop!

And, after hours,
- Warm Up Legwarmers from ModCloth.com
They really do warm me up! I wear them at work to keep the cold cement from giving me leg cramps, and they transition well into the outside world. I wore them for sleeping, and they kept my gams nice and toasty.

Photos on the way as they become available!

No comments:

Post a Comment